Friday, October 16, 2009

Now Watching: Impalements

All good deaths involve a good impalement. There, I've said it. It's just cool. Non-lethal impalements are also pretty neat. (See; Hot Fuzz). The final battlescene in the awful movie Gabriel featured a nice double-impalement with a steel pipe, possibly the only moment I actually enjoyed. Although sadly, only one of them died in the end. Boo.

In Hot Fuzz the uber-villian Simon Skinner (played by Timothy Dalton) and Sgt. Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) are having a fight in a model village of the town. Skinner slips on a model car and catches his chin on the church spire. Particularly entertaining as earlier in the film, the writer of the local paper gets his head blown to smithereens when the actual church spire falls on his head. I was unable to find a decent clip of the model village scene, but I did find one of the church spire head explosion.



There are quite a few fun impalements out in the movie-verse but I prefer slightly-comedic movies, so that tends to narrow it down a bit. Hot Fuzz is a comedy, which may come as a bit of a shock to anyone who has only seen the clip above. Gabriel is not even a movie (okay so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Just save yourself the time and don't watch it), but to each their own.

The last impalement I want to talk about is from a movie called A Film With Me In It. When I went to go see it, I hadn't really watched, heard, or seen, anything about it. But I knew Dylan Moran was in it, and wrote it (r helped write it, can't really remember), and so it didn't really matter to me. Rampant fan-girling at best. I expected a comedy. Moran is, afterall, a comedian. A Film With Me In It is sort of a comedy. A really really dark comedy. I couldn't find a clip of my favourite moment (again), but in the trailer below you can briefly see it as Moran's character, Pierce, points to the dead girl on the floor with something protruding from her chest. It's a clarinet stand. Plus the landlord stabs himself in the neck with a screw driver. Not necessarily an impalement but still very funny. Sort of. Don't look at me like that.



TVtropes.org has a nice list of death-by-impalement. Be warned though, for those who have never been to the site may find themselves wasting hours clicking link after link after link. There is, coincidentally, a comic about that.

No comments: