Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Month of Music: Papercut Skin by The Matches

I'm going to preface this by saying that I think that The Matches were one of the most underrated bands on the planet.


'Were' being the important word in that sentence. 'Were', because as of July last year, the band announced that they would be going on hiatus. Indefinitely.
They were going to be doing one last set of shows and releasing a rarities CD and then, who knows?
It was after hearing that they were doing their last shows in California that I particularly felt like stabbing myself. You see, a few months prior, they had toured in Australia. And I passed up the show because it was in the middle of a bunch of important tests and I thought that they would be getting rather big soon and would probably come back the next year.
It's funny in that way that slipping and falling really hard is funny.
(you know, in that it's not)


Anyway, great song, great band, great album. The Matches have a habit of taking a song in a completely different direction than you thought, and it's always brilliant. With most bands, there's always those one or two songs that you're not so fond of. Doesn't happen here. Every song is amazing. I wanted to recommend one or two for you guys to look up, but I can't choose.

Go buy all their albums. All of you. Maybe then they'll come back from their hiatus.

No comments: